Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wifi Blues

I thought my internet woes were finally over ... what with the wifi booster that I'd built that allowed me to connect to the free wifi service provided by the city.

What I now realize is that anything that is "free" is not always reliable. Today is the fourth day where access to the internet is practically nil. Yesterday I was able to log on for a couple of hours and then it was gone. Today?

I had to borrow my brother's Celcom Broadband modem to log on to the internet. The same broadband service that I insulted much earlier! The Celcom Broadband connection was quite good today, much to my surprise!

My brother, in the next room, called on me to help him set up a dial-up connection on his new laptop. Ever since he opened an internet account with Celcom, and utilized the free wifi service, he did not bother with the dial-up service from TMNet. But today he had no choice, what with me hogging his Celcom Broadband modem, and the free wifi totally inaccessible! Fortunately, he never cancelled his internet account with TMNet. If all else fails, dial-up is still better than nothing. Unless of course you want to take the trouble to go to an internet cafe to get your internet "fix" for the day! mrgreen

I don't know what the problem is with the free wifi service. Congestion? Maintenance? The wifi signal that my computer picks up is strong except that there was no connectivity to the internet.

How did we ever get by without the internet? redface

2 comments:

  1. Puteri,
    I am experiencing a slowing down of connection too the past few days especially after I came back from Sabah. Connection is still not so good today with timeout as normal happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I went to my youngest bro's place to borrow his internet connection. His streamyx is not as fast I had expected .. it disconnected on me at least once!

    Around noon I discovered the free wifi service was back to normal. After about a week of no service! Peii!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)