Thursday, January 26, 2006

Happy Chinese New Year


Happy Chinese New Year to all of you especially to my Chinese friends. May the Year of the Dog be a prosperous one for all of us!

Last year I was in Miri during the Chinese New Year, and so was able to visit a few friends. I am going to miss all the sweet barbecued pork meat. :-( I don't think I have seen any of those at the Asian supermarket here in Sacramento. I love all our Malaysian cookies and also love to try the different cakes that are usually staple during such festive seasons in Malaysia.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from a friend in KL yesterday wishing me Happy Chinese New Year. I don't know if she thinks I am Chinese? Heheh, it was very thoughtful of her though.

I would love to be in San Francisco during the Chinese New Year. I hear that in Chinatown, there is always a big celebration going on .. lion dance, fire-crackers .. all the cultural stuff. Yeah, maybe another time.

Otherwise for the rest of us here, the new year will be just another day. Cong Xi Fa Cai!

3 comments:

  1. You mean the Chinese Community in the States don't have the open house culture that we do in Malaysia? What mostly happens during Chinese New Year there - it would be interesting to note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is an open house culture like we have in Malaysia here. You don't simply drop in at a person's house without asking if you can come first! Maybe the chinese have the family get together thing on CNY eve. I don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pity you didn't get to san francisco. I would love to see some pics of the celebration there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)