Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So What's New?

You may have noticed that my posts on this blog have been reduced to about one a week. What's going on? Writer's block? Heheh, no not really, just that the topics that occupy my mind these days are not fit for posting on this blog. Also, I maintain more than just this blog!

As you can see from my Profile, I listen to a lot of talk radio. On talk radio, the topics are mostly to do with politics and some social issues. United States politics and social issues of interest in this country. I don't really want to get into a rant on these topics on this blog because most of you who read my blog are Malaysians living in Malaysia. I would bore you to tears! Sometimes though I can't help myself, and I can tell that the post did not interest anyone because no one has posted a comment. :-)

Having someone leave a comment on my blog is not really that important to me. I read many blogs, especially political ones, and most of the time I never leave a comment. Now and then I would leave a comment, though.

Anyway, yesterday, I read and heard on the news the passing of Dana Reeves. You may have read that she died of lung cancer at age 44. I knew 2 people who died of lung cancer, one died in his early 30s and the other died in her 40s. Neither of them smoked. I also know of one lung cancer survivor. It has been more than 15 years since her cancer was first discovered and after 15 years she can confidently say that she is totally free of cancer. She was a smoker back then.

At one radio talk show I was listening to yesterday afternoon, according to one listener who called into the radio show, the ones who don't smoke are less likely to survive the lung cancer whereas the smoker has a higher chance of surviving. I don't understand the mechanics of that distinction, but what it boils down to in my mind is that, it is not fair. If a smoker dies of lung cancer, that is understandable but for a non smoker?

But then again, cancer is an undiscriminating disease. It strikes anyone. Any time, any where. Some are genetically more pre-disposed to it, while others are not. In the United States, the incidence of cancer is highest among Asians, and Pacific Islanders. I don't know why. There are speculations as to why, but there is no definitive reason as to why.

Ok, I've got that off my chest now. :-) Back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Hehehe...there was this occassion that i listened to msn online about a teacher who likened the US President to a known dictator... I won't mentioned names here. If someone do that in Malaysi he won't even make it to TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is free speech for you .. anyone can say anything about the President, and he does not have to worry about being thrown into prison!

    This teacher though got into trouble because, he was supposed to be teaching World Geography but ended up ranting against George Bush .. parents were unhappy that he wasn't teaching but instead was spouting out anti-american propaganda. He was put on paid leave.

    Anyway, I enjoy listening to talk radio, where issues are discussed freely .. politicians are criticized, and anyone can call in to the show and have his/her say.

    Of course there is call-screening, because there are still words that cannot be spoken on air .. live radio is delayed by a few seconds so that certain offensive words can be bleeped out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)