Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Winter Weather

It looks like winter is not yet ready to be over. It is already spring and yet we are still experiencing winter storms.

Just before noon, the emergency alert system sounded over the radio .. severe thunderstorm with golf ball sized hail warning for a nearby county. I looked outside .. sunny with some thick dark clouds. Not long after that I heard thunder, and the house vibrated .. ooh, that sounded close! So I switched off my crackling radio and turned off my quilting machine. I didn't want any power surge to damage my stuff!

Then it started drizzling slightly. I took my shower, but when I came out of the shower, I noticed that it was raining quite heavily. I took a look out the window and watched the rain hitting the ground. Hail! The hail stones were quite small, about the size of corn, and they melted quite quickly after hitting the ground. I couldn't take any pictures because there were not much to see on the ground. Some weeks ago, the hail that fell in the San Deigo area made the ground look like it was covered in snow.

Anyway, this is the longest winter season I've experienced in California. The temperatures are about 10 degrees below normal for this time of the year. I don't really mind it though because summer in this part of California is always very long. Better cold than hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)