Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

The day after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday. It is so called because most retail stores go in the "black" for the first time in the year. It is also the traditional start of the holiday shopping season.

Most of the big stores open their doors at 5.00 a.m. and usually by that time there is already a long line at the door.

I did not bother to go to the stores that early today. The thought did cross my mind, though, because I was awake at 4.30 a.m. to answer the cries of one of my kids. At Walmart, you can get a laptop for under $400. I read somewhere that there was some trampling going on at a Walmart store for the laptop. :-) There are only so many laptops that each store carries, so I can understand the desire to be among the first to get into the store!

I did go to JoAnn, my favourite craft and fabric store. I got there just before 9.00 a.m. and boy was there a crowd there! I got myself some fabric for a children's quilt and also some jewelry making supplies. All those were 40% off their normal price. I had to get a number at the cutting table (for the fabric), and after that I had to join the long line to the check out counters.

Doug went to Best Buy to look for a memory card for my new digital camera, but there was none in stock for the one I wanted. My parents-in-law left before 8.00 a.m. for Best Buy and they got themselves, among other things, a radio.

I guess I'll do most of my christmas shopping online this year. I need to go back to Amazon.com to look over my wish list. Other then upgrades for my camera and computer, I can't think of anything else I have to have.

P.S. Jared, it looks like the people here are just as bad as Malaysians when it comes to jumping the queue! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)