Monday, November 21, 2005

Dry Cracked Hands, Itching Skin

Grate potatoes and soak in olive oil. Apply on dry, cracked hands. Leave this on for 10 minutes and then rinse off.
That is only one of the remedies that I found on the internet for dry cracked hands. The more amusing one. :-) I have dry cracked hands, and on the knuckles not only is the skin cracked, it is also bleeding. :-( I seem to have a serious case of dry hands this year. My palms feel rough and the skin is peeling.

I have tried applying lotion, and oil, but the relief is short-lived. I should try applying petroleum jelly. Come to think of it, one of my friends gets dry cracked and bleeding hands whenever she eats raisins. She applied petroleum jelly on her hands and it healed her bleeding hands. Why didn't I think of this before?

On my last doctor's visit (for a bad cough) I asked the doctor about my itching skin which I've had since July. She thinks that the itching is an effect of dry skin and told me to use a humidifier in my bedroom. And when applying lotion or oil, do it immediately after a bath/shower when the skin is still damp. She says that is the only time the skin effectively absorbs the lotion or oil. Also according to her, any application of lotion or oil when the skin is already dry is a pointless exercise.

I have a humidifier but have not used it at all this year. I guess it is time that I use it. It may really help my condition!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)