Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Too much TV may cause attention problems

I better cut down on the TV time my kids enjoy right now! I know it is bad, but the TV has been used to keep them occupied. :-( However, I am glad to notice that if either I or Doug is outside the kids love to be outside too ... riding their tricycles or driving around in their motorized vehicle and chasing the geese!

Watching television more than two hours a day early in life can lead to attention problems later in adolescence, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The roughly 40 percent increase in attention problems among heavy TV viewers was observed in both boys and girls, and was independent of whether a diagnosis of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder was made prior to adolescence.

The link was established by a long-term study of the habits and behaviors of more than 1,000 children born in Dunedin, New Zealand, between April 1972 and March 1973.

The children aged 5 to 11 watched an average of 2.05 hours of weekday television. From age 13 to 15, time spent in front of the tube rose to an average of 3.1 hours a day.

"Those who watched more than two hours, and particularly those who watched more than three hours, of television per day during childhood had above-average symptoms of attention problems in adolescence," Carl Landhuis of the University of Otago in Dunedin wrote in his report, published in the journal Pediatrics.

Read the rest of this article here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Puteri`s and have a good day.

    I go to be with the Greek people, and you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard this study mentioned on the radio as I drove to work this morning. My first thought was I needed to mention it to you. Seems you beat me to it! Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)