Friday, November 09, 2007

I need a new mixer!

I have a small hand mixer that I use occasionally. I don't do a lot of baking but when I do, I will take out this hand mixer. It works for most of what I do, but there are times that I wished I had a mixer that stands on its own and comes with a bowl, like a metal bowl. For example like the
Hamilton Beach® Stand Mixer which is an all metal stand mixer.

I have two preschoolers in the house, and they use the bathroom at the most inopportune time! Imagine there you are mixing your favorite banana bread recipe, and someone is screaming from the bathroom for you to come and clean him up! You will have to put down your hand mixer, attend to your child, wash your hands thoroughly and go back to mixing your banana bread!

These are the times when I wished I had a Hamilton Beach® Mixer! You can leave your mixer to do its own thing, attend to your child's needs, and come back to where you left off. In fact I have been looking at these stand mixers at the stores but have not made up my mind as to the size and the brand.

I do have some other Hamilton Beach products, like the juicer, and have been very pleased with it. I will most definitely consider getting the Eclectrics® Mixer, especially now in view of the upcoming holiday season where I will be doing a lot more baking than I normally would.

Here's the banana bread recipe that I got from a fellow blogger recently, and which turned out really well when I made it. My children love banana bread and since we often get some over ripe bananas, banana bread has become the family's favorite baked item.

Ingredients :

1 1/2 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of melted butter (1 stick)
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas - mashed
1 tsp of vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp of milk
A handful of chopped walnuts

1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degree F and lightly oil a loaf pan.
2) In a mixing bowl sieve flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3) In another bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, bananas, eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon zest
4) Fold the flour into the banana mixture and mix well. Add in the walnuts.
5) Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 min until the bread is done.
6) Allow to cool for at least 30 min before removing from pan.



7 comments:

  1. Heh Puteri, that is very good recipe tho, I love banana its contain potasium very good for heatlh, I will try to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuthess, this is a good recipe. Yes, you should try it. The size of the banana should be as big as the pisang embun. Anang ngena pisang mit, enti ngena iya ka mit, tambah lebih ga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Puteri, I not be knowing anything about mixers, only that I shouldn't use my fingers to assist it go quicker, as fingernails don't mix well with spices or whatever is inside.
    What happened to the good, old polished granite bowl and the polished granite pounder, where mothers would squat in slightly uncompromising position and pound the sambal or whatever, the pounding sounding like Jamacian voodoo drums initiating a sex ritual for virgins? I guess gone the way of the Abacus...too jurassic.
    Ahhh, you had a hot, wet dream of big dogs errr, doing their warm business on you? Quick, look up the Chinese book of numbers, look under picture of dogs squatting and wagging their tails, see the 4 numbers, write it down, go buy 4 numbers lottery. Hey! Never can tell...then you can get a new mixer, maybe with spare get voodoo drums next holiday to Kingston.
    You don't have that book? Okay, get someone in Sarawak buy you one, send over...very useful this, especially for those who get hot, wet dreams often, about dogs squatting, or whatever...or if Duncan eats too many of your Banana cake and 'burrrpps', ahaa! Then can look in the book under 'burping'...buy the numbers, come home clap your hands twice, look up to the sky, and sing that Doris Day song,"My harvest moon". Might work you know.
    Might win big money too.
    Psssst, don't forget who gave you this tip, huh?
    Iced coffee and two plain donuts should be satisfactory.
    Hey! If that dog number comes out, let me know...I go look for my neighbours dogs..
    Don the Fink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Don the Fink!

    Heheh, no you don't want your fingers in the mixer, or else you get some additional flavor to your baking! :-)

    No lah, I don't know how to play numbers, so I don't have any books interpreting dreams and giving out numbers at the same time! Damn dogs crapping on my blanket! Heheh.

    Hey you, stay away from your neighbour's dogs or else they think you're some chinaman trying to get their dogs into your cooking pot! Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Puteri, other people get hot dreams of George Clooney, or Brad Pitt, or George Bush, you get hot dreams of dogs crapping, ha ha ha. (I get hot flushes dreaming of Sophia Loren)
    What did you drink or eat before dinner?
    Cheee, eating dogmeat? I'll stick to wildboar or deer meat cooked by an Orang Ulu maiden in a sarong with jasmine in her hair and rice cooked in bamboo, and throat quenched by double, triple shots of tuak and champor with the leaves from a certain jungle plant, heh heh, that brings dreams to live and like the movie, 'sleepless in Seattle', it'll be 'sleepless in Sibu'. And it won't be dreams of dogs, I assure you, even with the howlings, ha ha ha.
    Don.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Puteri,

    I can understand your real need of a stand alone mixer..ha ha! You know what I was thinking of getting a recipe book with a banana cake recipe...I suddenly have this drool for home made banana cake all of a sudden! Must be my raging hormones..need potassium to calm me down..ha ha! ...voila...here you are being the angel of the moment. Tq dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby, that recipe is good! I have tried it.

    Potassium helps with the hormonal changes that folks like us are going through right now? I should make one banana bread myself today. I have a few over ripe bananas! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)