Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bitter Melon Tea

My father has been on oral diabetic treatment for many years and it has adversely affected his kidney function. He is now on insulin treatment.

I suffered from gestational diabetes and since I have a family history of diabetes, I am afraid that I am a likely candidate for diabetes.

I am interested in natural solutions for diabetes. I have known for quite some time now about the benefits of Gymnema Sylvestre in lowering blood sugar levels. I have a bottle of it which I got from my online food supplement store. But the thing with this tablet is that I am supposed to take it about half an hour before a meal. And I keep forgetting to do it!

I have recently discovered that bitter melon (peria, in Malay) also have some benefit in lowering blood sugar levels. There has been in fact a study on the effects of bitter melon (Momordica charantia) on serum and liver triglyceride levels in rats.

Yesterday I was at my favorite Asian supermarket, and bought myself some fresh bitter melons. I was quite surprised to find bitter melon tea at the tea and coffee aisle in the supermarket. Naturally I bought some! I don't really like bitter stuff but if it helps my health, I will take it! I even bought a small teapot for my tea. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)