Thursday, August 16, 2007

Remembering Elvis

I don't know how you feel about Elvis Presley, or if you even cared who Elvis is, but this week is Elvis Week. Today is actually the 30th anniversary of his death.

In Memphis, Tennessee, Elvis' hometown, there are a whole range of activities to celebrate Elvis Week. For example today, there's an Elvis: Walk A Mile In My Shoes Tour Series by Sweet Magnolia Tours, Jerry Hopkins - The Once and Future Elvis: A Conversation, D&N's Pre-Elvis Concert Dinner and Humes Benefit, for those who can't be in Memphis there's the Elvis Day on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I will try to catch at least one Elvis movie on TCM this week!

I have never been to Graceland in Memphis. I would most definitely not miss the opportunity to visit Graceland if I were in Tennessee.

Elvis has a unique voice, what you might call "big". I sometimes wonder if his kind of voice would make it big in today's pop charts. I don't know of any current male singers who has Elvis' kind of voice. Do you?

Some of my favorite Elvis' hits are Are you Lonesome Tonight, Love Me Tender, Heartbreak Hotel, Can't Help Falling in Love, Always on My Mind, Jailhouse Rock, You Don't Have to Say You Love Me and the one I find most sentimental is My Boy. Unchained Melody, how can I forget that! Elvis also recorded some gospel songs, and my favorites are He Touched Me, Put Your Hand in the Hand and Amazing Grace. I love Blue Christmas too!

Did you see the Celine Dion and Elvis Presley duet on American Idol? That was simply amazing technology!

I think Elvis died before his time. I don't know what his health problems were, but I remember the day the news broke about his death, and the world lost a gifted singer the day he died. Elvis may have died, but his music lives on.

2 comments:

  1. Don;t think anyone can sing like him (modern singers). It is great that the American people (i am sure world wide too) still remembers Elvis.

    He is truly a music icon. Like you said, he may have died but his Music lives on. Cheers for posting it on you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The former Japanese PM made a special trip to Graceland when he was here on an official visit! He even sang one of Elvis'songs to the reporters! :-)

    I enjoyed listening to my favorite radio talk shows today because they played Elvis's songs just before their commercial break and at the start of their new segment.

    You are right, there are many Elvis imitators but none as original as he!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Your comment is very much appreciated! :-)